The AZ State Land Department is currently exploring annexation into the Town of Oro Valley of the proposed Arroyo Grande Development. The Coalition is greatly concerned with Arroyo Grande because of its biological significance as a wildlife linkage between the Catalina and Tortolita Mountains. It is imperative that If Oro Valley decides to annex this area, any future development must be configured to adequately preserve this critical linkage. The Coalition will be involved in the process as it unfolds and will be conducting continuing outreach into the Oro Valley community to keep citizens educated and informed about the decision-making process along with opportunities for involvement.
Where The Process Is At: Next meeting scheduled on November 19th (see the last communication at bottom of screen for more info).
- On March 5, the Oro Valley Mayor and Council initiated a General Plan Amendment process for the 9000+ acres of State Trust Land north of their municipal boundaries.
- Over the next few months, there will be public meetings in the community as well as two public hearings before the Town’s Planning and Zoning and Commission.
- Following the Commission process, there will be a public hearing before the Mayor and Council prior to a Council vote to amend the General Plan.
- The Town staff will also soon begin drafting a “pre-annexation agreement” which will spell out commitments by both the Town and the State Land Department.
- Depending on the outcome of these processes, the Council will then vote on whether to annex the land into Oro Valley, and the State Land Commissioner will decide whether to agree to annexation. All of these steps are expected to occur within a year.
STAY TUNED FOR UPDATES, ANNOUNCMENTS OF MEETINGS, AND ACTION ITEMS. SEND YOUR EMIAL ADDRESS TO SEAN@SONORANDESERT.ORG IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE INCLUDED ON OUR ARROYO GRANDE ALERT LIST.
Tentative Timeline (PDF)
Coalition Top Ten List (PDF)
Oro Valley Agendas and Minutes (Web Page)
April 2, 2008 Oro Valley Town Council Meeting Materials (PDF):
(Arroyo Grande Annexation Process and Environmentally Sensative Land Ordinance Time Line)